The club dates back to 1818, but Cardinal Wolsey built the first court at Hampton Court Palace between 1526 and 1529. Almost 500 years later, the service wall of that court is still in use today.

Between 1529 and 1818 tennis was under the control of the monarch who appointed a “Master of the King’s (or Queen’s) Tennis Courts” to run the courts on a day-to-day basis.

Until late Victorian times the professionals were called “markers”.

Name Position Tenure
Josh Smith Assistant 2013 -
Chris Chapman Assistant 2010 -
Stefan King Senior professional 2008 – 2013
Ben Matthews Assistant / Tournament professional 2011 – 2012 & 2006 – 2010
Camden Riviere Assistant 2005 – 2006
Matthew Ronaldson Assistant / Senior professional 2003 – 2005
Ben Ronaldson (son of Chris and Lesley) Assistant / Senior professional 1994 – 2008
Nick Wood Head professional 2008 –
  Assistant / Senior professional 1988 – 1998
Matty Hayward Senior professional 1987 – 1990
Ivan Ronaldson (son of Chris and Lesley) Unofficial Assistant c1984 – 1994
Mike Gooding Trainee professional 1983
Lachlan Deuchar Senior professional 1981 – 1987
Wayne Davies Senior professional 1981
Alistair Curley Assistant 1980 – 1981
Rob Bartlett Assistant 1979 – 1980
Lesley Ronaldson Senior professional 1979 –
Chris Ronaldson Head professional 1979 – 2007
Derek Barrett Head professional 1973 – 1979
Leslie Keeble Head professional 1958 – 1972
Arthur Ashford Head professional 1932 – 1957
Harold White (son of Alfred) Assistant c1906 – 1932
John White (nephew of Tom) Assistant 1890 – 1906
John McCann Assistant 1908 – 1910 & 1885 – 1890
Stanley Lambert (son of William) Assistant 1883 – 1884
Alfred White (son of Tom) Head professional 1910 – 1932
  Assistant 1880 – 1883
Tom White Head professional 1880 – 1910
Edward (Ted) Johnson Assistant 1867 – c1878
William Lambert (brother of George) Head marker 1869 – 1880
George Lambert Head marker 1867 – 1868
Henry John Case (son of Henry) Assistant 1884 & c1863 – 1867
Thomas Stone Assistant 1850 – 1859
John Nightingale Head marker 1864 – 1867
Henry Case (son of John) Head marker 1848 – 1864
Joseph Case (cousin of John) Assistant c1843 – 1849
John Case Head marker c1820 – 1848